Prep Time: 30 minutes
|• cooking spray|
|• 4 whole wheat 8-inch tortillas|
|• 1 can low-sodium black beans, rinsed and drained|
|• 6 large eggs, whites only|
|• 3 cups water|
|• ¼ tsp chili powder|
|• ¼ tsp red pepper flakes|
|• 2 garlic cloves, minced|
|• ½ white onion, chopped|
|• 4 ancho chiles, chopped|
|• 3 arbol chiles, chopped|
|• 1 tomato, chopped|
|• ¼ tsp cumin|
|• ½ tsp oregano|
|• ground pepper to taste|
|• salt to taste|
|• OPTIONAL – 1 avocado, diced*|
|• OPTIONAL – ⅓ cup reduced-fat Colby Jack cheese, shredded**|
Instructions: Red Sauce
- Put water in a large pot and heat to a boil.
- Remove seeds and stems from chiles, then dice. Sauté with the onion and garlic over medium-low heat for 5 minutes, or until fragrant.
- Add the chile mixture and tomato to the boiling water. Reduce heat and cook for 15 minutes.
- Transfer to a blender/food processor and puree with oregano and cumin until smooth. Transfer back to pot and heat for another 15 minutes. Remove from heat and strain.
- Spray skillet with non-stick cooking spray and place over medium-low heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk egg whites, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add egg whites to skillet and cook for 6 to 8 minutes, folding every few minutes while cooking, or until fluffy. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a large bowl, mix black beans, chili powder and red pepper flakes. Stir until combined.
- Warm tortillas in microwave for 10 to 20 seconds, then lay out, and distribute egg whites and black bean* mixture evenly on each.** Drizzle red enchilada sauce, then tuck in tortilla ends and roll up to make burritos.
Variations (see optional ingredients)
- *Top egg whites and black bean mixture with diced avocado.
- **Sprinkle shredded, reduced-fat Colby Jack cheese on top of egg, avocado and bean mixture before adding sauce for more flavor.
Enjoy more health-inspired recipes from AdvoCare here. Tweet This!