Getting a quick and healthy dinner on the table doesn’t have to be a struggle! Here’s a crowd-pleasing recipe that’s delicious, nutritious and easy to throw together!
Healthy Cheesy Chicken Taco Casserole
Getting a quick and healthy dinner on the table doesn’t have to be a struggle! Here’s a crowd-pleasing recipe that’s delicious, nutritious and easy to throw together.
- 1 small skillet
- 1 7×11 baking dish
- 1 1/2 lb Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 c water
- 9 each Corn tortillas
- 2 c. Monterey jack cheese shredded
- 24 oz jar Tomato Sauce
- 1 c. Cilantro chopped
- 1 each Small tomato sliced
- To taste salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 400° F
- Season chicken with salt and pepper
- Add the chicken and water to a small skilled and cook on medium-high heat. Bring to a simmer and cover.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cook approximately 10 minutes or until chicken is fully done. Turn over once mid-way through cooking.
- Remove skillet from heat and let chicken cool. Once chicken is cooled, dice or shred into small pieces.
- Cover the bottom of a 7×11 baking dish with 1/3 of tomato sauce. Arrange 3 tortillas on top of sauce (they will slightly overlap). Sprinkle 1/3 of chicken and cilantro over tortillas. Top with 1/3 of cheese
- Repeat the layers of sauce, tortillas, chicken and cheese 2 more times.
- Top the final layer with the fresh, diced tomato.
- Cover with foil and bake until bubbly (about 20 minutes).
- Remove foil and cook 10 more minutes or until top is lightly browned.