You may not usually think “dessert” when you see chickpeas, but they add extra protein and fiber to this delicious snack recipe. Whip up a batch of these bars and next time your afternoon sweet-tooth hits, you can satisfy it in a healthy way!
Chickpea Chocolate Chip Bars
- 1 can chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup nut butter of choice
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- pinch sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F degrees and line a 9"x 9" with parchment paper.
- In a food processor (or high-speed blender), add all ingredients, except chocolate chips, and process until batter is smooth, similar consistency to hummus.
- Stir in a one-half cup of the dark chocolate chips.
- Scoop the batter into the lined pan and smooth it out evenly. Lightly press the remaining chocolate chips over top.
- Bake for 60 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. This will vary with ovens so be patient and wait until the edges are beginning to brown.
- Allow to cool (for 10 minutes or so) and cut into 16 squares