Craving pasta? We have a twist on a classic dish for you to try out! This Spaghetti Squash recipe is packed with veggies and the turkey meatballs provide some protein. Your whole family is sure to enjoy this healthy alternative to a traditional spaghetti meal!
Spaghetti Squash with Turkey Meatballs
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 large egg
- 2 large squash
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup zucchini shredded
- 1/2 cup carrot shredded
- 1/2 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp basil
- 1 tbsp parsley
- 2-3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 cups spaghetti sauce low sugar
- Pierce squash several times with a knife, creating holes to release steam.
- Place whole squash in microwave-safe dish for 12 minutes, rotating halfway through, or until soft. Caution: squash will be hot.
- Allow squash to cool slightly, then cut tops off the squash and split into two even halves. Remove the seeds.
- Using a fork, scrape spaghetti strands from the inside of the squash into a colander.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a medium bowl, delicately combine turkey, bread crumbs, egg, cheese, carrot, zucchini, basil, parsley and garlic. Fold ingredients together using your hands; avoid over-mixing as meatballs could become tough.
- Pour 1 cup spaghetti sauce into a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- Roll your meatballs into approximately 1”-thick balls, and distribute evenly throughout baking dish.
- Bake until meatballs have reached internal temperature of 165°F.
- Combine spaghetti squash with remaining spaghetti sauce and meatballs and serve.