This is the time of year when goal setting is top of mind and many will pause to make resolutions about what they are going to do (or not do anymore) that will make next year better than the last. If we just keep being the same person and doing the same things, how can we ever expect to learn and grow?
If you are preparing to make your own resolutions for the New Year ahead, here are a few thoughts to keep in mind along the way.
Not literally… but make time to ask yourself some important questions about your life and values to determine what you want to accomplish. Here are some thought starters to help you out!
- If you kept all your habits and routines exactly the same, how would you feel one year from now?
- What would be the biggest things you want to change?
- What is most important to you? Is it your career? Relationships? Health? Or maybe all of the above?
Make a List
Having goal-oriented mindset can begin with dreaming big! If you need some help stimulating your imagination, starting with a wish-list can help. This list can include anything from you desires, like a new home or a better car; OR, it can also include things you want to get rid of, like unhealthy habits OR even physical stuff, like old junk around the house.
The point is, list-making can help connect the dots between your values and where there is potential for new accomplishments.
Now that you have undergone some thorough self-reflection, this is where we take action.
As the quote by Antoine de Saint-Exupery says, “A goal without a plan is just a wish.” Making SMART goals helps to ensure that you indeed have a plan for how to achieve your intentions!
SMART is simply an acronym for:
- Specific: be clear about your goal.
- Measurable: define how your progress will be tracked.
- Actionable: can you take actions within your control to reach this goal?
- Realistic: stick with goals that are attainable for you.
- Timebound: a deadline will help you stay focused and motivated
May your New Year find you changing what you do and how you think – for the better. YOU can do that!
Looking to JumpStart your New Year with Healthy Habits? The 24-Day JumpStart® provides all the tools you need to focus on a healthy diet, supplementation to fill in nutritional gaps, stress and sleep management, and working to incorporate exercise.*
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). These products are not intended to treat, cure, or prevent any disease.